Thursday, December 8, 2011

Div. 35 Term One Reflections



A "Newbie's" Perspective
In the first term of Cyberschool, I have become more familiar with technology. I have learned new things about technology, which is both amazing and complicated. Obviously, the learning curve was very steep at first. I think that starting off, I was completely overwhelmed about the laptops, and using all of the new technology. I was not familiar with the whole setup; using Elluminate and Moodle, and it took me a week or so to feel confident when I was using the technology. But as soon as I got the hang of it, I relaxed and the technology was fun and interesting again. So, the technical parts of cyberschool, for instance, downloading documents into PDFs, was the most challenging. But, I noticed that I adapted to the program, and I now know how to use everything. The learning curve has settled down, and it has smoothed out. Technology was definitely the biggest challenge for me when coming into cyberschool for the first time.

One of the most interesting things about cyberschool would have to be the organization that I have developed, and that the teachers are providing for us. For instance, I have become more organized myself, and the teachers have given us opportunities to do this. One of the best things about the organizing would be the weekly plans and the online lessons. I love having the entire week put out in front of me; I know what is going to happen, and how to prepare for it. The online lessons are very convenient for many reasons; they can provide you with the notes that you missed, or help you understand and review the lesson of the day. They are great for when you are sick, because you can finish your work while understanding what you are doing. The lessons can also help you prepare for the quizzes. Another great resource that I use are the study guides; they are a map of what the quiz is about, and what you must study. While the teachers have provided me with this, I have learned to become more organized, because of the resources that have been given to me.

Cyberschool has helped me grow into a more independent student, which has opened up many opportunities for me. I’ve realized that being home two days a week help us change into more independent students. By having more flexibility in school, I have been able to get my work done independently, and I have had more time to relax and enjoy myself. Instead of being in school, I can get my work done and take a break from the work, and come back to it later. I have to depend on myself to complete it, and I have time to have fun. Cyberschool is a great place to go if you are a hard worker, and an independent student.  
By Emily D.

Some "Old Dogs'" Perspectives
This “old dog’s” first term experience has been good. When I say good though I don’t necessarily mean just enjoyable. Compared to last year, I know what to expect now-how much work is given and the teachers’ expectations for certain grades. I have also been able to establish a work schedule for cyberdays. Last year I felt very overwhelmed starting each cyberday and would worry that I would not be able to complete everything for that day. This year I have paid more attention to the estimated time the teachers have set for each task. I try and complete a majority of work the night before so I don’t feel so pressured to complete everything the next day. As well, I like having the option of being able to do something other than schoolwork on a cyberday. School has not been easier but more manageable.
By Cassidy



Term two is here! Basketball, Egypt, fractions, classification, Christmas concert. I am ready! My first term last year was nerve-racking, but this year it is smooth sailing. Last year it was a tiny bit less rushed because back then the Moodle assignments weren’t due by four o’clock last year so I could do any assignment first without worry. But this year, I was all familiar with how things would go, so it doesn’t make a difference. The only problem I had was at the beginning when I was just as nervous as last year because I didn’t have a laptop to do it. But then you got me this computer and I was ready to take on the rest of the year. I have found that the demands are a thousand times easier to meet, I know what is expected so I know what I need to do to get good marks. I am more organized and I know what to do, when to do it and when I should take a nap, (Note: that time is not during Elluminate.) Term two is here and I am in the swing of things, but term three is coming and it’ll sneak up on us like term two did last term.
By Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment